Tuesday, June 9, 2015

A natural approach to sinus problems

Last night before bed, Dottie and I were cooling down the house to nighttime temperatures. We sleep better when the house is cool, so lowering the thermostat is one of our routines before bed.

With the cool draft on my bald head, I had to clear my throat.

That’s not unusual. I clear my throat many times a day. It’s just normal for me.

But last night was different. I was clearing my throat more frequently than normal. A lot more frequently.

I’ve learned to pay attention to signals from my body. Phlegm in the throat is often a sign of sinus drainage. It’s one of those things that sneak up on a person. You don’t notice it at first. In fact, it’s easy to overlook if it’s not too bad. But if you don’t deal with it, you will develop chest congestion that can put you down for days.

So I did what any natural health advocate would do. I took a slug of Vitamin C.

Did you know that Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine? Well, it is. How much you need to be effective depends on your condition and the type of Vitamin C that you take. I strongly recommend a buffered and esterified Vitamin C, not ascorbic acid.  Your body can utilize it far better.

Last night, I took 2500 mg before bed. At 2:00 am, I still had throat irritation, so I took another 2500 mg. Ditto at 4:00 am. Once again at 6:00 am. Throughout the night, I gave my body 10,000 mg of Vitamin C, but this morning, my sinus drainage has stopped and I’m back to normal.

I can tell you from experience, had I not done that, I would have chest congestion, a condition that would hinder me for weeks.

June is a little late for sinus problems in Houston. Normally, they appear in March and April.

One of the things I’ve noticed over the years is that complaining about their sinus problems creates a bond among people. Perhaps they get some value from that.


Frankly, I prefer to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment